Memorial Building first opened in 1854. The entire building (with the exception of the façade facing Main Street) was demolished and rebuilt in July 2017. The new 45,000 square-foot Memorial Building reopened in September 2019. It has 18 modern classrooms dedicated to English and languages. There is a technology lab and state-of-the-art technology classroom. Suffield’s Office of Academic Support is also housed in Memorial along with several administrative offices: academic leadership, information technology services, and marketing. Memorial Building is home to three of four magnificent art pieces created and donated to Suffield by noted artist Stephen Hannock P'19, and two pieces by German Artist Sebastian Heiner. Finally, there is a fully equipped conference room on the top floor and striking terrace that provides one of the most beautiful views of Suffield.
Centurion Hall was constructed into the slope of Bell Hill, providing picturesque views of the Metacomet Ridge. Centurion opened in 2002 and was further designed in 2007. It houses the history and math departments and Suffield’s Leadership program. The 21,000 square-foot building includes two department centers and 15 classrooms all of which are a minimum of 300 square feet and equipped with Apple TVs. Centurion houses some of Suffield’s finest art pieces in its hallways and classrooms including original works by Sol Lewitt P’03 (“Horizontal Brushstrokes”) and Arman (“Blue Sharp”). A striking collection of artwork by legendary Suffield faculty member Bill Butcher lines the bottom floor hallway.
Holcomb Hall has served as the school’s science building since its opening in 1958. The school rebuilt and expanded the building by 40% to a total square footage of more than 16,000 in 2013. Holcomb has 10 classroom-labs which are each over 900 square feet and facilitate a flexible, integrated approach to teaching and learning. The building also includes a fascinating and beautiful living green wall, an interactive periodic table, and green roof for direct hands-on learning.
S. Kent Legare Library is a 12,000 square-foot building on High Street that has a vast collection of resources, classrooms, and Tisch Auditorium. Tisch is an auditorium with seating for 100 students.
Tremaine Visual Arts Center is a bright, uplifting 7,000 square-foot space that is the home of Suffield’s Department of Visual Arts. The sky-lit upstairs studio is used for painting, drawing, and digital media courses. The bottom floor of the building has an extensive ceramics studio, the Violich Photography space and darkroom, and the Lee Roberts ’74 Gallery.
The Jeanice Seaverns Performing Arts Center is the site of Suffield’s theater which is used extensively for dramatic and musical productions, dance performances, guitar shows, and other meetings and performances throughout the year. This 8,400 square-foot theater has sophisticated lighting and sound systems.
The Guttag Music Center houses eight acoustically engineered spaces for private study and music lessons. The Guttag Center also has offices for Suffield’s performing arts teachers.
The Williams Performing Arts Studio is home of Suffield’s dance program and also has a professional recording studio.
The Set Design Shop is attached to the Jeanice Seaverns Performing Arts Center. This 2,400 square-foot workspace is used to build theater sets and hosts woodworking and architectural classes. It has sophisticated equipment to support all of these purposes.
Athletic & Wellness Facilities
Tisch Field House is a gorgeous 30,000 square-foot facility with two multi-purpose courts used for basketball, volleyball, tennis, and many other activities. Tisch Field House also contains Suffield’s extensive athletic training room, four squash courts, a conference room used for team meetings and film study, and offices for Suffield athletics department staff.
Ap Seaverns Athletic Center is the site of Perry Gymnasium, Suffield’s swimming pool with large glass windows, Kinne Court (used for varsity girls’ and boys’ basketball), a spacious fitness center with cardio and weight training equipment, the Ulrich Squash Courts, Suffield’s rowing center with two rowing tanks and several ergs, Alex Steinmann ’87 boys’ locker room, Frank Peraino wrestling room, and the girls’ athletic locker room.
The Hillary Rockwell Cahn ’88 Balance Barn is a healthy lifestyle center where activities including yoga, meditation, Pilates, and barre classes are offered. The Balance Barn is used by students and faculty members for weekend courses and in early morning and evenings.
The Courtney Robinson ’88 Outdoor Leadership Center has a vast climbing wall, teaching space, and high and low ropes courses. This is the home of Suffield Outdoor Leadership Opportunities (SOLO) and is also used for Leadership courses and class outings.
David Holmes ’60 Field is a state-of-the-art synthetic field with an environmentally responsible infill called TPE. Holmes Field has LED lights and is used for a variety of sports including soccer, football, and lacrosse.
The Hirschmann Tennis Courts are on the east side of Suffield campus. There are 10 hard-surfaced tennis courts with spectator viewing areas.
Facilities for skiing, snowboarding, and golf are available nearby.
Fuller Hall is one of Suffield’s original buildings, originally constructed in 1845 and renovated and expanded in 1953. Hoffman College Counseling Center was built in Fuller to house Suffield’s unique four-year program in 2011. The 29,000 square-foot building houses the Head of School’s Office, admissions, and business-related functions. The top two floors are dormitory spaces.
Brewster Hall is a 33,000 square-foot building that was rebuilt and expanded in 2015 (originally constructed in 1960). Brewster is the home of the Koo Family Dining Room, kitchen, Landis Student Union, student life office, bookstore, and day student locker room. Brewster Lobby has a wall-sized mural of the Suffield Academy campus painted by Geoff Rockwell ’82. Brewster also has a replica of Stephen Hannock’s famous painting “The Oxbow” that was specifically created by Stephen for Suffield Academy.
Development is located at 236 North Main Street in a wood-framed house adjacent to the head’s residence, Gay Mansion. The 2,692 square-foot, single-family home was built in 1939 and originally consisted on five bedrooms and three bathrooms. It was purchased and renovated by Suffield Academy in 2017.
Suffield has 14 dormitories ranging from Fuller and Spencer Hall (with about 40 beds) to house-style dorms on Suffield’s historic Main Street. Six dorms with about 10 double rooms are located in Kotchen Quadrangle. The newest dorm (Brodie Hall) opened in 2018. This 10,000 square-foot building includes a restored New England style barn. The rooms have individual heating and cooling capacity.