Holcomb Hall was originally built in 1958 as a 10,600-square-foot building that housed science and visual arts. The science department began using the entire building in 1996, when the Tremaine Visual Arts Center was constructed in the space previously used as the school’s Infirmary (built in 1957). All Suffield students are now taking at least three years of science, and Holcomb’s size led to inflexibility in the program. Suffield’s goal was to completely renovate and add to the building, equipping it both for the modern study of science and to meet the needs of a 410-student enrollment. The new, 14,000-square-foot facility was completed in 2013 at a cost totaling $6.3 million. There are ten “clabs”—classrooms with labs in them—and several distinctive architectural features including a living wall, green roof, and beautiful views of campus.